Tuesday 5 September 2017

Romance is not only for the young

"You are never too old for romance" I believe it was Ingrid Bergmann who made that statement and I agree with her wholeheartedly. Young romance can be magical but it can also be heartbreaking - we have loads of songs and books about that aspect of it but not enough about romance in later years.

I started my novel LOVE AT A LATER DATE with this in mind. I know a number of grandmothers who are young at heart, willing to take a chance on life, curious about new things. I know mothers and grandmothers who are devastated when the children start to grow up and don't need so much shepherding any more. So I asked myself what would happen if a still-young grandmother lost her dependable job and was thrust onto the job market? What would happen if a man she was in love with in the past comes back into her life? Will she choose duty to her daughter and grandchildren over looking for a new career? Will her love from the past still have power over her now all these years later?
It was great fun writing this novel and judging by feedback from my readers - both older and younger than the heroine in the novel - they had great fun reading it. I believe in books that bring a smile to your face. I must admit that I'm not into all that agony and hardship stuff in fiction although I do find autobiographies of people who have surmounted hard times and made peace with themselves very uplifting and encouraging. But life's too short to pick a fiction novel with a grim plot line as weekend reading. Let's have a happy ending that brings a smile to our faces!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading old novels

 I haven't written here for ages but wanted to put my thoughts down on a novel I am currently re-reading. I keep certain novels and read...