Wednesday 14 February 2018

Happy Endings and Falling in Love (Revised Valentine's Day Post)

You are never too old to fall in love. That is the best thing about love between two people. I enjoy reading about seniors deciding to get married and be together for the "remains of the day" if you'll pardon the quote.
I like happy endings. I am not keen on all those gut-wrenching, tear-inducing stories which end badly. I gave up enjoying those many years ago! Now, I like my love stories to end with two people finding each other.
The inspiration for my first "romantic" novel - although I prefer to call these novels contemporary women's fiction - was a grandmother in a women's group I was chairing. She was so busy looking after her grandkids and worrying about her children, that I felt - foolishly I daresay - that she was missing out. This train of thought led me to ask, as most writers do, "what if?"  What if she suddenly, or even gradually, decided she wanted to do something out of character? How would her family react? How would she cope when she left her comfort zone?  And so the novel LOVE AT A LATER DATE was born. It tells the story of two friends, Ginny and Deirdre, no longer young, grandmothers, who are suddenly faced with a huge upheaval which forces them to re-think their lives.
I had a lot of fun writing this and I hope this is mirrored in the novel itself.  I have had a lot of feedback from readers, two of whom recently told me they sat up reading all night as they just had to find out what happened.  Praise like that is music to a writer's ears, believe me!
Of course I had to follow this with the second novel, LOVE AT CLOSE RANGE, which is Deirdre's story and, if my readers are to be believed, was just as enjoyable as LOVE AT A LATER DATE.
LOVE AT A LATER DATE will be free on Kindle from this Friday until Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading old novels

 I haven't written here for ages but wanted to put my thoughts down on a novel I am currently re-reading. I keep certain novels and read...