Tuesday 10 April 2018

Romancing the Royals

I paid a visit to the Big City today. Not for shopping, I'm afraid.  I needed to collect my orthopaedic insoles (you can't get less romantic than that!). Well, to be honest, I did buy a pair of trousers in a beige colour which will go with just about everything in my wardrobe. In order to do so, I had to make a pact with myself to donate a pair of grey trousers to the charity shop which I will do tomorrow, word of honour!
Anyway, while I was trekking around I stopped in front of the magazine rack in one of the department stores. Nearly every magazine had a picture of a smiling Meghan Markle on the front cover, sometimes with Prince Harry, sometimes on her own.  It got me thinking (beginner's luck, I can hear you chuckle), but no, seriously. What is our fascination with royalty? The days when we believed that once Cinderella was safe in the arms of Prince Charming, she was going to be happy, happy, happy seem like a long time ago.  Do we still believe that? Isn't it far more likely that the princess-to-be will be hounded by the papparazzi, criticized if she makes what is perceived as a mistake in her choice of wardrobe, and watched like a hawk for any breath of discord between her and the royal family. In my opinion, Meghan Markle has to be one of the bravest women this year.

Yes, I'll be watching the wedding on television and wiping away a tear (perhaps). I've watched all the European royal weddings over the years and wallowed in the glamour. And isn't it nice that, just like the rest of us, even the royals have aunts and great-aunts who are a teeny bit eccentric?
I wish Princess-to-be Meghan and Prince Harry all the happiness in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading old novels

 I haven't written here for ages but wanted to put my thoughts down on a novel I am currently re-reading. I keep certain novels and read...