Saturday 16 June 2018

Helping Stray Cats

Yesterday I spent an hour in front of the Youghal post office collecting for Community Cats.  Community Cats does a lot of good work. They trap, neuter and release stray cats, thus preventing unwanted kittens.
Back in the Spring, when the weather was bad, a cat strayed into the backyard of the block where I lived at the time. She couldn't get out again as the walls were too high - goodness knows how she managed to actually get in there. She was very frightened and hid in a shed in the corner of the yard. I heard her miaow for a few nights before I actually saw her. She must have been very hungry. I bought some food for her and placed it just outside the shed together with a bowl of water and although I watched, I never actually saw her come out to eat. Next morning the food bowl was empty, though.
I phoned Community Cats in Midleton, the next town, and they promised to come and trap her. In the meantime, it started to snow heavily so the rescue mission had to be postponed for nearly a week.
Sheba, as I started to call her, was trapped and neutered. She was too wild for any attempt to find her a home and she was returned to the area where she was found. I have not seen her since because I moved just after this.
Sheba's rescue and the kindness and the advice I was given by the Community Cat people, made me want to help them. Unfortunately, I cannot keep cats where I live. Instead, I retweet some of their information and last year I bought their calendar and Christmas cards.
There are some wonderful people out there who help animals in distress and I wish them all continued success.
Community Cats are on FaceBook and can also be reached via https://communitycatsnetwork.wordpress.com/  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading old novels

 I haven't written here for ages but wanted to put my thoughts down on a novel I am currently re-reading. I keep certain novels and read...