Friday 19 October 2018

Getting Back to Normal

I can't believe that I haven't written anything in this blog for a month!  It's amazing what I find to do instead of sitting down and writing and all the time I feel guilty because I haven't been editing that novel I wrote some years ago nor have I put finger to keyboard to write this blog. So here goes.

I spent a wonderful week in North Holland with my daughter and grandkids at the beginning of October. We had a few stormy days (just like real life) but otherwise the weather was pleasant. Lots of walks on the beach which stretches for miles and miles along the coast. The children had plenty of dips in the sea and especially enjoyed sliding down the sand dunes. We went to a fairy-tale themed park which they just loved and also to a maritime museum where they could admire the various fish swimming about as we walked through glass tunnels. In the evenings we strolled down to the beach to watch the sun go down and they enjoyed running around in the dusk.

We stayed in a holiday village in a nice big house with a garden and patio, and I did most of the cooking. With two fairly small children, it wasn't worth going to restaurants and in any case they preferred home cooking. Lots of lazy evenings drinking wine when the kids were in bed.
Holland is a great place to spend a holiday with children because they are equipped for both good and bad weather.
On my way home - I flew in and out of Amsterdam - I had a stroll around Amsterdam. Here is a picture of Amsterdam Centraal, the main railway station, quite an impressive building.


Now I have to roll up my sleeves and get down to doing some writing. I have completed my Christmas novel CHRISTMAS AT CASTLEDARRA and it can be ordered on Amazon as a print version and the Kindle version will be available from the middle of November.

Incidentally, while in Holland, quite a few people asked me for directions which makes me think that mothers - and grandmothers - have that universal  'can I help you?' look. I don't speak Dutch but am fluent in German so more or less guessed what was being said. I replied in English which everyone seems to speak over there and with a bit of sign language and a few laughs, we communicated.

Right, now I really must dig out that manuscript and start work on it. Christmas will be here in no time....
Have a good week everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading old novels

 I haven't written here for ages but wanted to put my thoughts down on a novel I am currently re-reading. I keep certain novels and read...