Tuesday 4 December 2018

Christmas in the Air

There is something very magical about Christmas. We all love the colourful decorations, the candles and the bustle. For my part, at this time of year I love to settle down in front of a log fire, sip a glass of red wine (as sweet as I can get it) or if it is frosty outside, to indulge in a mulled wine and have a plate of mince pies within easy reach. Could anything be cosier on a dark December afternoon?

Although I am a fan of crime fiction, at this time of year I look for gentler stories. I am currently reading an old Robert Goddard novel Hand in Glove which is intriguing to say the least. Goddard is a very talented writer and tells a tale as convoluted as any author I know. In other words, this is a page turner. When I've finished it, it will nearly be Christmas so I'll either pick up a nice family story or I will go back to Jane Austen. Whenever I am feeling fragile, I start to re-read one of her novels. I haven't read Mansfield Park for a long time and it is thicker than her other works, so I must get this out for the festive season. Yes, I know the story and how it all ends happily, but it is a bit like visiting old friends, like putting on your pajamas and sliding your feet into those comfortable slippers.

What do you like to read to wind down at Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading old novels

 I haven't written here for ages but wanted to put my thoughts down on a novel I am currently re-reading. I keep certain novels and read...